Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beats to apply for jobs by

As the job search continues, I've been listening to my iPod a lot more as I search for jobs to apply for.

Note: I find it ironic that I titled this blog entry 'Beats to apply to jobs by" as if I listen to hip-hop music

That being said, I thought I'd share some of the songs that I'm digging the most with you right now. The plan is to put up a you tube video of the song (assuming said song is listed on youtube) along with a short explanation of why I love said song in the same way that I fat kid loves cake. The goal is to help educate all of you on what "good" music is.

Sidebar: In this instance (and in most others) "good" means the music I like. I've often been referred to by a friend as a musical Nazi. Personally, I find this a bit harsh because I may have persecuted folks for their (in my opinion) lacking taste in music, but I've never done anything like what the Nazis did.

I hope you like it. Please feel free to tell me if you think my music tastes sucks.

1.) Fake Empire by The National

The National is probably my favorite band going currently. I love this song because it starts off
so slow and unassuming and than it does this sort of... slow boil... to this truly amazing horn section. I can't say much more about this song. It's just awesome.

2.) Skinny Love by Bon Iver

I'm usually not a big fan of this whole "lo-fi" thang that seems to be going on in with a lot of the
bands and artists that people tell me I'm supposed to like, but for Bon Iver I'm willing to make
an exception to that rule. This is one of those songs that perfectly encapsulates a certain emotion
or state of mind. Unfortunatley, the emotion this time around is breaking up... but then again,
think about how many songs you like that are about breaking up. It kinda makes you feel bad
doesn't it?

3.) If it's the Beaches by the Avett Brothers

If I had to pick a 2nd favorite band, it would be the Avett Brothers. They may be a little too
country for some, but they right some really catchy music. This song is, quite possibly,
the saddest song ever written. It's all about this couple that have broken up, but the guy in the
relation ship desperately wants them to be together again... and in order to do this, he vows to
do whatever it takes and give the girl whatever she wants. The thing that makes the song so sad
(aside from the fiddle, or violin if you want to be sophisticated about it) is the last lines of the
song: If it's the beaches, if the beaches sands you want then you will have them. If it's the
mountains, bending rivers you shall have them. If it's a wish to run away then I will grant it.
Pack the old love letters up, while I go gas up the truck... we will read them when we forget
why we left here. To me, the thing that makes it so sad is that you can tell that he knows they'll
begin having problems... but he still has to try.

4.) Niagara Falls by Harlem Shakes

Just a catchy song. I likes it. Don't judge me.

5.) Bears by Sam Isaac
"I'm so scared of the truth... and automatic doors". At last a man (like myself) who is afraid
of everything. Also: "I was young, and I've made awful mistakes. But you were older, and you'd
do the same". Them's good lyrics!

I'm running out of stuff to say... so I'll just say that I dig the rest of these songs. A lot. And you
should too.

6.) Black Like Me by Spoon

7.) Citrus by The Hold Steady

8.) Judy and the Dream of Horses by Belle & Sebastian

I realized I was old for the first time on the day that I purchased my first Belle and Sebastian CD

9.) Knotty Pine by David Byrne and Dirty Projectors
It's the friggin' guy from the talking heads. What's not to love?

10.) Relator by Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johanson
I hate my self for loving this song.

11.) Hey Ya by Obadiah Parker
In my opinion, one of the cleverest covers since "GIn and Juice" by the Gourds.

So there you have it. Music I dig right now. Opinions are welcome. Bring on the hate. It fortifies
me.

Ya'll stay classy... whereever ya'll is...

Blakely A-dam Sumner

2 comments:

  1. Some great music - some that are not quite my cup of tea. Not feeling the Belle & Sebastian, but that's okay. I LOVE the Obadiah Parker cover. I've been hearing it for a while on a local college station. :) I really enjoyed Fake Empire, Bears, Skinny Love, Black Like Me, and the Avett Brothers track. Couldn't get a clear listen to the Niagra Falls track, but I'll try again later.

    Thank you, music guru. Furthermore, in the future I will call you a music elitist instead of a music nazi. Hopefully you find this less offensive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go here. You will thank me while you cry.

    http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&albumid=the-mourning-the-silver-the-bell-8097330&artistid=14060356

    ReplyDelete